Tuesday, September 16, 2008

FIRE!!!

Well craig and I experienced our first home disaster tonight. 

SORRY!!!! to those within a 50 mile radius of our apartment, because you probably heard the fire alarms that wouldn't stop for like 30 minutes.  There was so so much smoke.  

Note to self.....don't let craig cook!!!!!  I came home from my Zumba class to find craig heating up some hamburger for taco's.  the amount I made for him wasn't sufficient and he wanted more...I was fine with that but I guess he forgot he was heating up oil for the shells, as he was sitting on the couch on his computer, when I look over to the kitchen and see flames up to the ceiling.... I was like CRAIG!!!!!! he ran to get the extinguisher and put it out.  the alarms sounded after we had it out (thanks for the heads up :(  but the extinguisher's white sand was everywhere!!!!! smoke was everywhere!!!!! and our fire alarm didn't have batteries and we couldn't unplug to stop the load noise.  Soren was asleep in the living room and woke up freaked! It took forever to get the smoke to go away to see the damage!!! not to bad.  the black washed ride off the cupboards and walls.  the hood from the range was pretty messed up, black but still fine...we need to replace the little plastic fan because thats melted...but all in all you would have never known their was a huge fire.  It took forever to clean up all the smoke and I went through like 5 magic erasers and 50 towels.  once it touched the black wall it would just start smearing it all over and I had to grab a new one.   Im sure our managers will see a bunch more damage than really is necessary but we didn't kill anyone and the kitchen is still in use and I think for our first disaster it went pretty well :) for a disaster! 

5 comments:

Camile said...

Okay, your twin babies really took me by surprise! ha ha!! I think I'll put one of those things up too.;-)

I have to say that your disaster made me laugh (at least how you wrote about it). That's funny/scary that the alarm didn't sound until after you got the fire out.

I'm glad your first home disaster went so well...for a disaster. I hope that our first goes as well.

Have a wonderful day, Katy!

The Wendt Family said...

Wow...What a night! you'll always look back and laugh about that one. Unfortunately, this gives men one more reason why the women should be in the kitchen :(

Nicole said...

We didn't hear any noise down our way. I did the exact same thing last year in our old apartment. I thought I had cleaned it all up- that was until last month when we were moving out of our old apt and I had to clean out the stove/range. That stuff is a bugger to get off. I'm glad that no one was hurt! Fire is not my favorite thing. Have a better day/night!

Jill W said...

That's so scary! You're right, it went pretty well. It could have been so much worse! I'm glad you're all safe!

The Cornett Family said...

Oh my gosh! I just about had a heart attack when I saw that you were having twins! Only to read that you weren't... dang. It's probrbaly for the better! :o)